Now that the demo is finally here, I’ve realised how much I missed playing 2142 after the beta closed. Going back to intensity of BF2’s infantry only mode was fun, but I’ve been hankering to assault a Titan again for a few weeks. Not knowing anyone else in the beta also meant that I didn’t get to see how the game played out with the GFH regulars. Now the chance has arrived!
Although I managed to snag the demo installer on Friday evening, a weekend away has meant that I’ve only had chance to briefly fire up the demo. On that basis, here are my first impressions:
- The map isn’t Verdun! I was sure that EA/DICE would put the beta map in the demo, but we have a new killing field to explore. Sharp-eyed readers will recognise that the demo map appears to be one that featured in one of the gameplay videos released this year.
- There are plenty of servers around, and the server browser seems to be up to scratch. In fact, the user interface in general seems to have had all of the glitches that were present at the end of beta ironed out.
- Map loading and game performance in general seems good. I’m not running on uber-settings at all, but the game looks good and is stutter free.
- There’s a big, ranting review up on the totalbf2142 forums. This guy doesn’t like that his tank can actually be destroyed by ground defences, or that he can’t man a multi-person vehicle solo and lock out (or kick out) those annoying n00b team-mates. You mean, actual team work might be needed to win? Bring it on!
Could try harder…
- No ranking or unlocks in the demo! I was hoping to try out some unlocks I hadn’t used in the beta to see if they’re worth going for after release. It would also have been great to be able to see if any changes had been made to any beta favourites. No DICE it seems. There are some rumours around the forums that it may be possible to get field upgrades though.
- Regular disconnects from the master server are being reported, but EA say they’re on top of it. Given that I (and others) suffered regular disconnects from beta servers I hope this is going to be finally fixed for release.
- 1280×1024 still missing from the in-game video options. Come on guys, how hard can it be?
Here’s looking forward to some more play-time over the next couple of days to see how the game’s shaped up.